Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Get Well Cards (Band Aids and Potato Stamps!)

Okay...nothing too creative here. The girls had a relative break a limb and another have surgery, so we spent some time making get well cards.

For one set, big sis got to decorate a band-aid (yes, I actually trusted her with a permanent Sharpie marker...must've been out of my mind that day! This is a child who just recently colored her entire face with washable marker while I had my back turned!) and then stick the band aid to the card. She didn't quite understand the whole idea and just simply colored part of the band-aid...but oh well. I had her peel and try to stick the band-aid herself to help work on motor skills. Since it was a bigger band-aid, the hardest part was keeping it from folding and sticking together. She added one of her great smiley faces and some stickers and her name and voila! Homemade card!

(Little sis just colored with marker and used stickers.)For the second set of cards, I decided to try out potato stamps. We had some potatoes that were too old to eat, but not rotten. I did the first part of the craft - cutting part of the potato into a shape. (I made a flower and a heart...it's not easy to cut, so I tried to pick simple designs). I poured some washable paint on a plate, had the girls dip the stamps in paint and get as much excess paint off as possible, then stamp on their card. Big sis caught on pretty well and filled the inside of her card with red hearts. Little sis didn't quite figure out how to get rid of the extra paint, so she had big green blobs on her card. She quickly wanted to switch over to a paint brush, so the inside of her card is just a random streak of paint.I used the hair dryer and a paper towel to speed dry them. They decided to use markers and stickers and some random Lion King stamps I stumbled upon the other day on the outside (really have NO CLUE where those came from...but the girls loved them! Guess I need to buy some stamps and a stamp pad or two!). Below is a picture of big sis trying to help little sis stamp. (I can just hear little sis now..."I do! I do!")I added some short messages to both. While they weren't our best pieces of art, hopefully the recipients know they were mailed with much love!

No comments:

Post a Comment