Sunday, January 29, 2012

Initial shirts

Thanks to Caroline over at Oh Pickles for this idea!

Supplies needed:
t-shirt
paper doily (I used 4 inch, but I think 6 inch would still work for the toddler/preschool crowd?)
fabric paint and brushes
stencils (or make one using card stock and your printer)
possibly spray adhesive
I opted to use a light coat of spray adhesive on the t-shirt, waited about 5 minutes, then placed a doily in the center of the shirt.

Next, I painted all of the doily openings with fabric paint, then carefully peeled off the doily.

Finally, I used a stencil I made using my computer/cardstock and painted the initial in the center of the doily.

Voila! I will say that the shirt was a bit tacky from the glue residue. I am assuming it will be fine after a good wash. If this is not the case, I will adjust this post. I've made bags without using the glue and I will say it is much easier to do a good job with the paint if you use the glue!

If you go on a kick of making these shirts/tote bags, they can be pretty inexpensive...especially if you can find a good shirt on sale! Looks super cute with a tutu skirt and leggings or tights.


No comments:

Post a Comment