Friday, January 20, 2012

2011 Halloween Costumes

One thing I really enjoy is trying to make my girls' Halloween costumes. This year, big sis was set on being a witch. At 4, I just wasn't ready to go that route so when I temporarily had her agreeing to be a penguin, I immediately jumped on it! As a result, I had their costumes basically finished back in August!

For Big Sis' penguin costume, I took a picture of a pattern you could buy and used it as my guide - did everything free hand. I used fleece for her costume, but mistakenly sewed the hood in place, which made the neck hole too tight to slip over her head. I cut a v in the front part and then later hid it with a bow tie that was held in place by velcro.

Little Sis wanted to be Cinderella. I followed the directions here and was more than pleased with how it turned out. I added an extra layer to her skirt portion and it just looked gorgeous. I have never made sleeves like that...her directions are just great! The one mistake I made: I didn't follow the directions EXACTLY and attached the skirt later, only I forgot to measure the top bodice to determine where it should attach to the skirt. As a result, the bodice was rather long on her. Overall, it worked though and I was SO very proud of the outcome. Seriously, this pattern is worth trying. I'm not a very good seamstress and was able to do it!




No comments:

Post a Comment