Monday, December 5, 2011

Tote Bags

Got this really cute idea from Oh, Pickles. (Please note: That is not a link to her instructions...just her adorable blog - lots of great hosting ideas...she is so great at the details!) I made these for my nieces for Christmas, which I plan to pair with a purse notebook and another little something. Both love to play school, so I figure at the very least these could become their teacher bags/notebooks!

Supplies needed:
Tote bag (I got mine at Hobby Lobby)
Paint (I used fabric paint)
Paint brush (I used a small paint brush - sponge brush might work and turn out cute too)
Paper doily (I used Wilton 12-inch diameter)
Might also use: spray adhesive, stencils (I made my own), ribbon


First, place a doily in the bottom right corner of the bag and paint in all of the holes that show on the bag. Oh, Pickles recommended lightly spraying an adhesive to hold the doily in place. If you choose to do this, use caution...too much adhesive and you will not be able to remove the doily at the end! I was too nervous, so I just chose to hold mine in place. It worked fairly well for me, though the edges were really hard and I did make a few minor mistakes.


Next, either use a stencil, freehand or make your own stencil to paint the initial on the bag. I opted to make my own stencils by typing my initials on Open Office then printing them on cardstock. Next, I cut out the black part of the letter to create a stencil. Another trick is to print it on regular paper, trace it onto wax or parchment paper, use an exacto knife to cut out the letter and then use the wax paper as a stencil.


Finally, dress up any other way you please. I found some ribbon on clearance that blended well and opted to tie a piece on one strap.
Twine would look really cute on some bags too - possibly with bells tied on at the ends? Lots of possibilities for fun!! Perhaps you could even cut out a non-fraying type of fabric in a quarter circle and fit it inside the doily on the bag for an added splash of color? The possibilities are endless!! Such a cute fun idea...here's hoping my nieces like it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment