Sunday, December 18, 2011

Christmas Crackers

In college and for a few years after, I worked in a tea/gift shop and most Christmases, they sold packages of Christmas Crackers. I always thought they looked so pretty and would be fun to set at Christmas dinner table, but was never quite willing to fork over the money for them.

Turns out, they are pretty easy and can be inexpensive to make! (Some versions actually pop when you open them...my version does not.) I made them to take to my extended family Christmas celebration, as well as gave some to thank my daughters' Sunday school and nursery teachers.

Supplies needed to make them like mine:
**empty toilet paper rolls or other tubing
**glue and/or tape
**wrapping paper (I bought some at the Dollar store, but if you plan ahead and don't mind storing it...you can reuse any of the big scraps torn off packages when you open presents)
**curling ribbon
**scissors
**fillers of your choice (I mostly used candy plus a lip balm for some, but could use little toys, matchbox car, a bunch of crayons, etc.)

First, I cut out wrapping paper wide enough to wrap around the tube and 2-3 inches longer than each toilet paper roll. I glued the roll to the wrapping paper so that when my recipients opened their crackers, they hopefully won't realize I used a toilet paper roll..ha!
Next, I used a piece of ribbon to tie one end of the wrapping paper and added my fillers.
Finally, I tied off the other end and curled the ribbons.


They make cute stocking stuffers too!



No comments:

Post a Comment