Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Trophy

One of my favorite crafty mommy bloggers posted a cute Father's Day Trophy craft on Kaboose. We decided to make it this year using almost entirely supplies we already had on hand (just had to buy gold paint). Here's how we made ours...

(Note, she chose to cover her cups in masking tape and then paint...we opted out of that step....)

Supplies:
gold paint
styrafoam cups (I had larger ones on hand from a ghost project...smaller ones would look cuter)
glue (I ended up just using hot glue as I already had it out for another project)
pipe cleaners (I did not have gold, so substituted black)
something for the trophy base (I used a recycled Boston Market container that I had on hand, she used a box)
something for writing the message (paint pen, puffy paint, etc.)

Much of this project I did myself, but it would be easy to involve just about any age child.

First, I had my girls each paint as much as they wanted/could of a styrafoam cup (used gold acrylic paint). I went back after it had dried to add another coat. I think it took 2-3 coats for me to be happy with the color. (Note: I DID sloppily paint the inside of the cup designated to be the upper part of the trophy.)Second, I hot glued the bottoms of the two cups together and then hot glued the top of one cup to the bottom of my Boston Market bowl. (Loved using this bowl since it was already black!)

Third, I added the trophy "label" to the trophy base. (All I had that still worked was yellow glitter puffy paint!)
Finally, I inserted the pipe cleaner into my cups. (I did knot the upper one on the inner side of the cup so it wouldn't fall out easily.)

We filled ours with mini versions of a favorite candy!

Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment